Welcome! ¡Bienvenidos!

Read the posts to see what I'm doing.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Politics on the Job

I knew this day would come - the day in which I would have to walk the tight line between totally bashing my country and defending its actions. That day was Oct. 23, 2007. I went to La Casa de Ancianos, an elderly residence/convent, to learn about volunteer opportunities. During the informational interview with Cayetano, a director of volunteers, I learned that I would help serve lunch or dinner and just talk with the elderly women, who have little money and little family to tend to them. Then he wanted to know more about me and my country. I should have seen the red flag, but, nope, I didn't. I walked right into the dreadful conversation about Bush and the Iraq War, the hypocrisy within the U.S. government, gas-guzzlers and their negative effect on the environment. YIKES!

It's not that I don't know that the U.S. has its problems or that I'm unaware of how other country's view the red, white and blue, I just wasn't expecting to talk about it in that setting. Also, it's difficult to bash your country when you miss it. I identify with being an American (whatever that is) so much right now, because the phrase, "Soy americana," usually follows, "Hola. Me llamo Dioni." Plus, I never want to put forth the impression that my opinions are those of every U.S. citizen. So what's a girl to do? Well, I just slumped further in my chair as Cayetano shared all the opinions he has formed from his 26 years of earthly living. I finally said I had homework to do to get out the conversation. (It wasn't a lie.) Past study abroad students said they often found themselves in the same predicament, but somehow I had managed to avoid it. Now I'll take notice of the red flag before I crash and burn again.

No comments: