Welcome! ¡Bienvenidos!

Read the posts to see what I'm doing.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Tuesday the 13th

I'm in class right now, so I shouldn't be writing, but my professor brought up the fact that Tuesday the 13th is the day of bad luck in Spain, not Friday the 13th. But nobody's talking about bad luck today. They prefer to talk about (Spanish) King Juan Carlos I telling Venezuelan Hugo Chavez to shut up this past weekend. My señora Inés thinks Chavez is a dictator. I'll refrain from criticizing him now because the rest of the world has already done so. If you don't know what I'm talking about, see the video below.



The Spanish president, José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero, was addressing the crowd at the XVII Cumbre Iberoamericana (where all the heads of government within the Hispanic community meet), when Chavez decided to interrupt him and continue to talk over him. That's when King Juan Carlos I, as to defend his president, said, "¿Por qué no te callas?" or "Why don't you shut up?" in English. The king's outburst has become the new catch phrase for songs and T-shirts. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the basis of a skit on Saturday Night Live this weekend. Watch the show and tell me about it next week.

No comments: